Sunday, August 28, 2011

Week 1

I survived the first week of school and even though it was exhausting it was a great week back.  I'm ready for "real" school to start though.  Our first week of school is really like a camp.  We call it "Gimme 5" and the entire week is spent on team building and working on procedures.  90% of our kiddos are classified as economically disadvantaged and they have more gaps and things to deal with out side of school so the Gimme 5 week is a time for teachers to build those trusting relationships that will make the year go better.

Highlights of the week:
-7th grade won the spirit stick at the pep rally!!  It was one of the best pep rallies this school has had in a long time
-I love the two math teachers on my team.  We are going to work really well together.
-My students call me Mrs. Awesome or Mrs. Awesome Peck.  They didn't change up my name tag and last week when Matthew went to help me move some furniture around he changed it to Mrs. Awesome.  The other day, I was in my neighbors classroom and a special ed student came by looking for me and he was convinced my real name was Mrs. Awesome.  That made my day.
-I love having only 4 classes, granted, they are 75 minutes long but I'll take it.
-I already love having only one lesson to plan.  I don't have 3-6 different lesson plans to turn in each week.
-My duty is after school in the middle of the parking lot where parents wait to pick up their kids.  Its a dangerous job but it usually doesn't last more than 10 minutes.  I am looking forward to the day when I don't have to stand in the parking lot in 105 degree weather.
-I looked forward to going to work every single day this past week.  I hope that pattern continues!

This past week I struggled with making time to workout but I think this week will be better.  Last week my excuses for not running were i was absolutely exhausted and it is hot as hades outside.  This week my only excuse will be is its hot as hades.

No comments:

Post a Comment