Saturday, August 6, 2011

Melon Dash

This morning I woke up bright and early to participate in the Melon Dash!  It was a much better experience than the St. Paddy's run.  I don't know how many people were there this morning but it was definitely fewer than the 7,000+ at the St. Paddy's run.  It was in downtown McKinney-through the square and around the neighborhood which was absolutely beautiful!  I love those old victorian style houses.  It was really hot outside but not as hot as I was expecting.  There was a nice breeze and since it was around an old neighborhood there were tons of big trees that provided some much needed shade.
I didn't do so well on this run.  I knew I wouldn't.  I knew the heat would slow me down and I have definitely been slacking in the running area.  I've only run once since the beginning of August.  I'm doing a great job at using this out of control heat wave as an excuse when I shouldn't because I actually enjoy being outside at 5:30 in the morning, even during the summer.  I do better at following a schedule when I'm busy.  I'm sure I'll be running more often and on a regular basis once school starts up again.
I love being at the races.  The people there are so stinkin' nice and encouraging!  Its amazing to me how so many people stay at the finish line to cheer everyone on.
I really want to be a "runner."  I was doing a good job with the running until I had my surgery back in May.  It took me a full 2 months to recover from the surgery.  I could barely walk the dog around the block for the first 6 weeks.  Once I was able to work out I was discouraged about not being able to do as I could before the surgery.    I love running, especially outside.  It does wonders for my attitude and self esteem--not to mention all of the health benefits.  Not a single person in my family is a runner.  No one (this includes parents, brothers, brothers ex wives, aunts, uncles and all 3 of my cousins and their families).  My dad and I are the only ones who work out on a regular basis.  I'm okay with changing up the family tree.  
I'm seriously considering joining a RunOn running class.  I know it would help me out a lot and I could meet some running buddies who live near me but I don't want to spend the money.  I'll go visit RunOn and see if they can talk me into it  :)

2 comments:

  1. Do it, Kristen!!!! :) So much of what you said in this post resonates with me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What is your goal for running? Dallas Running Club will also be starting our beginners training program as well!! We need to have lunch or something before you have to start all this school business!!!!

    ReplyDelete