Sunday, October 23, 2011

Sunday Tid-Bits

-School is still going great.  However, the students (7th graders) are realizing they have to set priorities if they want to pass, and play sports/band/choir, etc.  We are in the 3rd week of the 6 weeks and I have way too many kids that are failing or just barely passing.  They aren't turning in their work and then not serving the detentions to make up for the late work.  Grrr!  I call about 10 parents everyday, let coaches know, but these kids are something special this year.  They don't want to do anything; and its not just homework but in class work too!  I bet some of them wouldn't even turn in their homework if I gave them a dollar.   In a few weeks I'll be assigning a year long project but I'm afraid to do so.  This year it will be more work on me than the students.

-I had a former student commit suicide this week.  He was a junior in high school.  This is the 3rd suicide of a former student from the school I teach at.  That's hard to deal with and accept.  

-I learned that 80% of our 7th graders can only read at a 2nd grade level and only a handful of them can read on grade level. 

-I have a new student who is 16 and in the 7th grade.  He has only had maybe 2 years of formal education.  According to state standards, this kid is expected to pass all of the tests next year so he can go on to high school.  The district has a learning center for students who are a few years behind and want to graduate on time, for students who want to graduate early, for teenage moms, but there aren't any services for teenagers who are illiterate in both English and their native language.  

-Running is going great!  I'm so glad I joined another RunOn class and I'm planning on signing up for the 201 class.  I'm okay with the fact that I can do 2 miles in 20 minutes on an easy run.  I'm looking forward to actual race day!

-I want to take piano lessons. I haven't started yet but I've already been through 3 teachers.  When I signed up online I had to write about my music experience.  Apparently nobody reads the survey.  Once I am able to schedule a time for lessons the teacher tells me that they'll buy the books and I'll pay them back.  I reply back with I'm not a beginner; I received piano scholarships, and I started taking lessons before I could read, and I want to be able to play and memorize these certain songs.  2 teachers replied back letting me know that I have more experience than they do and the other one said that she wouldn't be the right match for me.  Sooooo frustrating!  

-I'm getting homesick.  I'm ready to go home and spend time with family.  Next weekend will be that time!  I'm headed home for Nessa's baby shower :)  I think I'll get somewhat homesick over the fall and holidays.  My family does a lot of stuff together at this time (we have a lot of family birthdays that we like to celebrate together).  Matthew's parents live only an hour away but we haven't spent time together since last Christmas.  I try to act like their actions/ways don't bother me, but it does, sometimes.

-I love the surfer guys on Amazing Race.  I don't have an opinion on the other people.  Usually they always put a couple on there that I can't stand but that hasn't been the case so far.  

-Today's sermon was really good.  It was about work ethic. (Taken from two different passages in Proverbs).  More details on that to come.

1 comment:

  1. My old principal used the term bi-illiterate to describe some of our students. It's pretty accurate, but also disheartening. You do what you can.

    and Kristen, you're so good at piano I think you'd need a music professor.

    ReplyDelete