Friday, July 5, 2013

Settled In

The past 2-3 weeks have been crazy!!  I still can't believe I don't live in Texas anymore.  Here's a recap of how we got here and what we've been up to.

June 13-My car was loaded onto a moving truck.  That was hard to watch.  I was afraid the guy was going to drive my car off the truck.

June 14-  The moving van came, I cleaned the town home cleaner than it was when we moved in, and my parents arrived late that afternoon.

June 15 -  Matthew and his friend Rob started the 3 day car ride to Seattle.  I had my last eye-brow waxing by the best lady ever, and I stayed in a hotel with Joey and my parents for the rest of the long weekend.

June 18 - I had one last haircut by Kelly :(  I won't be able to replace her, and late that afternoon my parents dropped me off at the airport.  My dad tried really hard not to cry, my mom was a mess, and I had blurry eyes.  Of course, I had the dog and the plane was late.  Not cool.  Dallas Love used to have a dog area but after all of the renovations, they forgot to add in a new one.  So, Joey and I spent 1 1/2 hours outside in the Texas sun to make sure his little bladder was empty and I wanted to wear him out before we got on the plane.

June 19- Matthew and I spent the day looking at apartments.

June 20- We signed a lease

June 21- The moving van was supposed to arrive but it took them 2 days to unload another man's stuff. He clearly had a lot more than we did.  We spent the afternoon getting to know the town.

June 22-  Moved in!  Our town home wasn't big but it was a lot bigger than this little apartment.  We got rid of a lot of stuff in Dallas but not enough stuff.  We are currently trying to sell the washer/dryer, grill, kitchen tables and chairs, coffee table, and Matthew's desk and chair.

Matthew didn't start his job until July 1st so we had an entire week get settled in and explore.  We've eaten way too much food.  The food here is delicious and I have gained some weight.  I'll be working on losing those extra pounds asap.  We walked around downtown, did the duck tour, shopped in Bellevue, spent a lot of time in our downtown, gone to the beach, and took Joey to the dog park on the beach.  Last Sunday we tried a church here in our town but I think we're going to keep on looking.  Hopefully we will find a church soon.  I hate being without a church home and I need some friends.

Last Wednesday, I met with a running club.  The leader of the group told me that it would be an easy run because so many of their runners did the Rock-n-Roll over the weekend.  It was not an easy run.  They ran 8-9 minute miles and included speedwork.  That was after the warm up that kicked my butt.  I was in pain for several days.  I wanted to run with them on Saturday but my legs were still feeling Wednesday's "recovery" run.

Yesterday for July 4th I ran in the local 5k and it was by far the hardest and slowest 5k I've ever done.  I was slower in this 5k than I was in my first 5k before I started training with Run On!  I knew I was out of shape but dang!  The entire first 1.2 miles was ALL UP HILL.  Yep.  I walked half of that hill.  It was horrible.  I wish I could say the rest of the race was flat or downhill but nope.  We went uphill, then rolling hills, then a long downhill (down the hill we started up), 10 yards of flat then it was back up hill and the last 1/4 miles was somewhat flat.  I know that if I stick with it, I'll be a stronger runner but man are those hills tough.  I have definitely been humbled.


  1. What an adventure! Not sure how much it helps, but I would highly recommend an Acts 29 church. They are all solid, Bible churches...we're fans for sure! :) Will be praying you find a good church family soon. Here are the ones in WA:

    1. Thanks Erin! We're going to try out Crossway Fellowship this Sunday.